Preventive dentistry is important for kids because it paves the way for healthy teeth and gums as they continue toward adulthood. Dental exams and professional cleanings at an early age can ensure a lifetime of good dental health and strong, dazzling smiles.
There's nothing more rewarding than making a child smile and helping keep that smile healthy and happy. Dr. Jon Sierk and our team at Sierk Children's Dentistry love working with kids of all ages, health, and abilities to keep their pearly whites and gums in tip-top shape.
Our Preventive Care Covers All the Bases
Dr. Jon's expert diagnostic skills and treatment techniques can help children have lifelong smiles.
Regular preventive dental care helps us:
- Prevent decay and gum inflammation
- Fill cavities
- Repair broken teeth
- Remove problematic teeth
- Check for infections
- Monitor growth of teeth and jaws
Youngsters need preventive dental care just like adults do. We offer different types of preventive dental care, depending on your child's age and specific needs, including:
- Routine check-ups and teeth cleanings – Routine check-ups and cleanings allow us to remove bacteria, prevent decay and disease, and offer timely treatment for any dental health risks. It also helps us monitor your child's oral health and keep their teeth and gums clean.
- Fluoride treatment – Fluoride helps make your child's teeth strong and prevent cavities. We offer standard fluoride and silver diamine fluoride to keep cavities at bay and protect teeth from damage.
- Standard fluoride – Fluoride is a gel, foam, or varnish applied directly on the tooth that protects it from future plaque buildup and cavities. We have flavored fluoride to make it better tasting for children, and we also recommend the best age-appropriate fluoride toothpaste and mouthrinse for our patients.
- Silver Diamine Fluoride (SDF) – SDF is a non-invasive fluoride treatment used to treat cavities with ease. SDF is an antimicrobial liquid that stops decay in its tracks and prevents the spread of decay to other teeth.
- Sealants – Sealants help protect teeth from active and future cavities, keeping your child's smile safe from dental decay.
- Mouthguards – Mouthguards are another way to prevent your child from tooth damage. We make custom mouthguards right here at our Highlands Ranch or Castle Pines dental offices so your child can keep their teeth and gums protected during sports and all the other activities they enjoy.
What to Expect During a Dental Exam
As your full-service children's dentist in Highlands Ranch, Castle Pines, and surrounding areas, we ask parents to bring their kids to our office by age one. During this visit, we will carefully look at your child's mouth and face to make sure everything is developing properly. Your child is welcome to sit with you during the visit or whatever makes you both the most comfortable.
Dr. Jon and our team will also look for any signs of decay, gum disease, and bruxism (teeth grinding), as well as orthodontic issues. Regular dental exams are important for keeping your child's smile healthy, strong, and bright. Routine exams are especially important for children with special needs because they may not be able to communicate if they are uncomfortable or in pain. These visits allow Dr. Jon to check your child's teeth and gums and make sure everything is in good health.
How to Keep Your Kid's Smile Clean and Happy
When you visit Sierk Children's Dentistry, we will customize a preventive care plan for your child, so they can keep a healthy smile for life. Here are some tips on how to help your little one stay on top of their dental health game:
#1 Don't Forget to Brush
Brushing twice daily is a must for kids and parents alike. Make sure your child uses an age-appropriate toothbrush and toothpaste, and help them get in every nook and cranny of their growing smile. You may even let them choose a fun toothbrush with their favorite cartoon character or flavored toothpaste. Patients with braces may need to brush more often.
#2 Floss Like a Boss
Flossing daily is very important for children because flossing stimulates the gums and keeps them strong enough to do their job of holding teeth in place. Flossing and cleaning between your child's teeth will also reduce their risk of developing gum disease, and it will keep their smile healthy, fresh, and clean.
#3 Stay Away from Sweets
Eating a balanced diet works wonders for your smile, not to mention it keeps your body and brain strong. We recommend staying away from foods and drinks high in sugar or carbohydrates, which can lead to cavities.
We love to remind parents that when they are excited about dental health, their children will likely follow suit. We can help you make brushing, flossing, and dental care fun for both you and your little one.
We Celebrate Children and Their Smiles
Sierk Children's Dentistry is a full-service office that helps children stay healthy and happy. Sierk Children's Dentistry proudly services Highlands Ranch, Castle Pines, Littleton, Lone Tree, Roxborough, Denver, Parker, Castle Rock, Centennial, and all neighboring areas.
Call us today at (303) 865-4066 to schedule your child's dental exam and cleaning!