As any parent knows, keeping children healthy can be a full-time job. From making sure they eat their vegetables to getting them to brush their teeth, the list seems endless. But dental health is an important part of overall health, and there are some simple steps parents can take to ensure their children's teeth stay healthy—even before they get their first pearly white. And when a little one does get their first tooth, they will surely tell us all about it! Oh, the joys of teething!
Seven Tips for Taking Care of Your Little One's Teeth
Caring for children's teeth is vital to their health, but it can be challenging to know where to start. To help make things easier, here are seven tips for keeping your children's teeth healthy:
- Before teeth appear, wipe gums with a soft, clean cloth after the first feeding and before bed to prevent cavities.
- When a baby's first tooth emerges, they are at risk for tooth decay. As part of the first visit (before your baby's 1st birthday), Dr. Jon will show parents how to brush and floss their infant's teeth to keep them healthy.
- Talk to us about fluoride treatments. Fluoride can help to prevent cavities, and we offer fluoride treatments for children of all ages.
- Please encourage your child to brush twice a day. The importance of teaching children good oral hygiene at an early age cannot be overstated. Make sure children use a toothbrush appropriate for their age and help them reach all the surfaces of their teeth.
- Please help your child to floss once a day. Flossing is just as important as brushing, so teaching kids to floss at an early age is crucial. Various child-friendly floss options are available, and we're here to answer any questions you have.
- Limit sugary snacks and drinks. Offer water and low-sugar options whenever possible to help prevent cavities.
- Schedule regular dental checkups. Continue to maintain good dental hygiene at home, but also take your child for regular dental checkups and cleanings. These appointments will help to catch any problems early and ensure that your child's teeth are healthy and strong.
Preventive Pediatric Dentistry in Highlands Ranch & Castle Pines
Educating our patients and parents is one of our priorities, and we are always happy to share our tips and tricks. To help you keep your child's smile happy and healthy in their early years, we offer:
- Developmental milestone guidance
- Best practices for dental hygiene
- Fluoride treatments
- Nutritional support
- Advice with habits like lip and thumb sucking
- Routine dental checkups
We love helping our patients—from children to young adults—understand the significance of excellent dental hygiene so they can have a lifetime of happy, healthy smiles. Whatever your family needs, we are here to help! Contact one of our pediatric dental offices to book your child's next appointment!