Dental Hygiene & Teeth Cleaning in Highlands Ranch, CO
Did you know that good dental hygiene can keep your entire body healthy? In fact, regular dental cleaning can help prevent or greatly diminish the effects of many negative health outcomes. For example, tooth disease and inflammation of your gums can affect the body’s ability to control blood sugar levels, worsening diabetic symptoms for some people. Poor dental hygiene can also lead to heart disease, gingivitis, increased risk of stroke or heart attacks, and other serious health issues later in life.
Teeth Cleaning and Dental Hygiene
It is important to us at Sierk Pediatric Dentistry in Highlands Ranch to help our patients acquire good dental hygiene habits while they are young, to keep them healthy for the rest of their lives. What starts with simple dental cleaning routines and professional teeth cleanings every six months in Highlands Ranch, can go on to prevent weakening of bones, lowering risks for certain types of cancer, preventing certain cardiovascular conditions and respiratory infections, and maintaining a brilliant smile for years to come.
Dr. Sierk Pediatric Dentistry in Highlands Ranch's Guide to Effective Teeth Cleaning
- At a 45-degree angle, place your toothbrush against your teeth
- Brush gently back and forth in tooth-wide strokes
- Move your brush to cover the chewing surfaces of every tooth, as well as the outer, and inner surfaces for effective teeth cleaning.
- Using the tip of your toothbrush, brush the inner surface of the front of your teeth.
- Replace your brush every three to four months, or if it begins to fray, as a frayed brush won’t do a good job.
- Use an ADA-accepted fluoride toothpaste for dental cleaning and teeth strengthening
- Take about 18 inches of floss and wrap most of the floss around your index finger. As the floss is used, you’ll begin to unwrap this finger to use fresh sections on each gap, while wrapping the used floss around your other index finger.
- Using your thumbs and forefingers, guide roughly one inch of floss between your teeth.
- Gently glide the floss like a saw between your teeth, holding the floss tightly. Then, curving the floss into the shape of a letter “c” against one tooth, slide it beneath your gums.
- Repeat process on each tooth, sliding up and down for effective dental cleaning.
- Contact Dr. Sierk pediatric dentistry in Highlands Ranch if you notice any signs of decay while cleaning teeth.